What is Moombahton?
Moombahton is a genre created by Dave Nada (1/2 of Nadastrom). A genre that started out as a “last resort accident” Dave tells us. He was playing a Latin “skipping party” in DC and slowed down the BPM (Beats Per Minute) on a few Dutch House tracks. But the genre has evolved so much since then. The tracks now feature chopped vocals, layered acapellas, extended and enhanced build-ups, as well as the introduction of new drums and percussion elements.
People who usually listen to Reggaeton were instantly courted by the familiar sounds infused by Dave and pioneering producers, Munchi, Uncle Jesse, Billy the Gent, A-Mac etc . The genre fuses popular songs and arrangements to blend seamlessly with Dutch House.
It has a similar aesthetic approach to the popularized Latin genre, Reggaeton. An urban genre brought to the American mainstream by artists such as Daddy Yankee, Don Omar, and Wisin y Yandel. The genre draws influences from Reggae, dancehall, bomba, salsa and plena.
But it’s not confined solely to Latin sounds. I’ve heard tracks with Middle Eastern influence (Knockin Boots Moombahton Edit) as well as Dubstep ( “Where’s my Money” Munchi Moombachore Remix).
Moombahton is being perpetuated by experimental EDM enthusiasts allover the world, including Diplo & Switch from Mad Decent, Laidback Luke and a slew of others.
The genre has become extremely popular in DC and Los Angeles, but it’s already found its way overseas. I first heard Dave’s Moombahton Megamix, released by Fool’s Gold, in Sweden last year. A DJ was spinning the entire EP and claiming it his own, that was until I snatched his mic and discredited him. I got your back Dave!
I hope the genre continues to make strides across the EDM boards. I’m of Colombian descent, so its refreshing for me to listen to old Cumbia tracks once played at family parties being morphed into contemporary dance tracks. No only is it nostalgic, its innovative and brave. Not to mention the ressurection of the Reggaeton genre. I commend all you Moombahton pioneers!
Watch Dave’s Moombahton set played live from our studio.
Ustream Track List
- DAVE NADA – “INEHI” EDIT
- DAVE NADA & DILLON FRANCIS – “BRAZZER’S THEME”
- MUNCHI & HEARTBREAK – “FACEOFF”
- TORRO TORRO – “KNOCKIN BOOTS (BILLY THE GENT EDIT)”
- DILLON FRANCIS – “MASTA BLASTA”
- SANDRO SILVA – “TOLD YA” (DJ MELO EDIT)
- TITTSWORTH & ALVIN RISK – “PENDEJAS”
- CASPA – “WHERE’S MY MONEY” (MUNCHI MOOMBAHCORE REMIX)
- BILLY THE GENT – “HANDS HI” EDIT
- BILLY THE GENT – “SEDUCTIVE” EDIT
- DILLON FRANCIS & DIPLO FT. MALUCA – “QUE QUE”
- PUGA – “SABINA” (FOUR FOUR REMIX) (NADASTROM EDIT)
- DAVE NADA – “DET VAR JAG” EDIT
- NADASTROM – “VENGA” EDIT
- SMUTLEE – “MAJIC” EDIT
- DJ APT ONE – “BELLS & WHISTLES”
- SABO – “TA COM MEDO DE MIM” EDIT
- STEVE STARKS – “GET FR33KY IN DA CLUB”
- JON KWEST – “RUN DI TRACK”
- VASKI – “SPACEMAN” (DILLON FRANCIS REMIX)
- DAVE NADA – “WIT U” EDIT
- ALEX CLARE – “UP ALL NIGHT” (NADASTROM REMIX)
- MUNCHI – “I LOVE C.D.L.C.”
- MUNCHI – “LA BRASILENA TA MONTAO”
- MUNCHI – “GRACIAS”
- UNCLE JESSE – “TWO INCH PUNCH”
- WIN/WIN – “RELEASERPM” (NADASTROM REMIX)